Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Games & Narrative

I'm not a gamer; or, more precisely, I'm only a casual gamer. Puzzles are great, but I prefer my adventures delivered in narrative forms: books, short stories, graphic novels, moving pictures and the stage plays my children spontaneously create in the living room.

Despite my non-gamer-ness, I downloaded a free demo of a game called Braid. I downloaded it because it's received some significant praise, it's creators are independants, not feeding into a corporate machine, and it's re-inventive. Essentially, it takes the puzzle-filled, casual-gamer-grabbing powers of Super Mario Brothers and immerses them in a deeper, painted, gentle, narrative universe.

The video doesn't do it justice ... but, as I said the demo's free, so you can try it for yourself

No comments: